Job / research opportunities
If you have a job or research opportunity that may be of interest to our website visitors and you wish to have it included on this page please get in touch with the TREAT-NMD coordination office.
Please note: information appearing below will be available until the advertised deadline, then it is automatically removed by our system.
Closing date: 8 March 2021
Duchenne UK is a transformative innovative and dynamic funder and driver of research into treatments for DMD. Duchenne UK works with academic scientists, clinicians, industry, regulators and other patient organizations and charities to achieve its goals. Projects range from funding gene therapy to initiating and funding trials of repurposed medicines.
DUK has pioneered an unparalleled charitable model that has fundamentally altered the approach to finding treatments and cure for disease.
In the last 6 years, Duchenne UK has raised over £15 million. We’ve spent £8m to date and committed a further £6m to accelerating research.
The charity’s president is HRH The Duchess of Cornwall. Patrons include the broadcasters Krishnan Guru-Murthy and Mary Nightingale, and the sports stars Owen Farrell, Kris Radlinski and Andy Farrell.
- Duchenne UK is seeking a Director of Research and Clinical Development, who has hands-on experience of drug discovery and development. We are seeking a well networked candidate who can identify and critically assess new drug targets that exhibit the potential to transform the treatment of Duchenne muscular dystrophy. The candidate must be driven and able to seek out new partnerships with academics and pharma, and to think ambitiously and strategically about development new treatments for DMD.
Position in organisation
- This post is part of the senior management team at Duchenne UK and reports directly to the CEO and co-founder and will work closely with the Programme Manager.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Identifying new drug targets and therapeutic approaches that exhibit potential to transform the treatment of Duchenne muscular dystrophy, and drug development
- Seeking out new partnerships with academics and pharma to develop treatments for DMD.
- Working with DUK’s Programmes Manager to ensure multiple projects across pre-clinical and translational research stay on target and meet goals.
- Provide scientific expertise, guidance and strategy to successfully bring programs to Go/No Go decisions.
- Be accountable for project timelines and trouble shooting.
- Work directly with CEO to allocate and manage research budget
- Participate in business development activities to promote research with external collaborators.
- Work closely with all research partners including scientists, clinicians, regulators and biotech/pharma companies
- Liaising with the Duchenne UK scientific advisory board, the patient advisory board and preparing documents and reports for the board of trustees
Skills and experience needed:
- Ideally, an interest in DMD with knowledge of the causes, symptoms and potential targets for developing treatments.
- Demonstrable understanding of clinical and/or translational development
- Effective engagement with, and influence of clinicians and researchers and other internal and external partners and collaborators
- Flexible and pro-active attitude
- Free to travel
- Confident speaker
How to apply
To apply for this role please send your CV and covering letter (no more than two sides) , addressed to the co-founders of Duchenne UK, Emily Crossley and Alex Johnson. Please send your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for applications is midnight 8th March 2021.